HFHS Logo

HUNTINGDONSHIRE
FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

Registered Charity Number 800335

Huntingdonshire Genealogy Links

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Brampton

 

Brief Description:

BRAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of LEIGHTONSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 2¼ miles (W. by S.) from Huntingdon, containing 1064 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 8.1.4., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Brampton in the Cathedral Church of Lincoln. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the decorated, and partly in the later, style of English architecture, with a fine south porch, enriched with elegant tracery. Samuel Pepys, Esq., secretary to the Admiralty in the reigns of Charles II. and James ll., and elected President of the Royal Society in 1654, was born here; his Memoirs, comprisiilg his diary from 1659 to 1669, with a biographical sketch by Lorcl Braybrooke, were published, in two vols. 4to., in 1825.

This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Hundred:
LEIGHTONSTONE
Registration District:
Brampton has been in the Registration District of Huntingdon since 1st July 1837.

First Appearance of Name:
Domesday Book - 1086.
Available Bookstall items:

1841 Census
1851 Census
1891 Census

Links:
GENUKI Huntingdonshire - Brampton
Roll of Honour - Huntingdonshire War Memorials


Click here to return to previous page

Last Updated on: 29 November 2001
©2000-. Huntingdonshire Family History Society.