HFHS Logo

HUNTINGDONSHIRE
FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

Registered Charity Number 800335

Huntingdonshire Genealogy Links

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Bury-Cum-Hepmangrove

 

Brief Description:

BURY, a parish in the hundred of HURSTINGSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 1 mile (S.) from Ramsey, containing 337 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of George Maule, Esq. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is the eastern part of a large crucifom edifice, and exhibits a mixture of Norman and early English architecture, with some interesting specimens of both; the entrance to the chancel from the nave is under a carved wooden screen. Bury formed part of the possessions of Ramsey abbey; and there is a strong stone bridge of two arches over a small brook, which is supposed to have been built by one of the abbots.

This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Hundred:
HURSTINGSTONE
Registration District:
Bury-cum-Hepmangrove was originally in the St Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it became part of the Warboys Registration sub-District; since 1st April 1997, Bury has been part of the Huntingdon Registration District .

First Appearance of Name:
Charter - 979-1016.
Available Bookstall items:

1841 Census
1851 Census
1891 Census
Bury Holy Cross Parish Registers

Links:

GENUKI Huntingdonshire - Bury-cum-Hepmangrove


Click here to return to previous page

Last Updated on: 29 November 2001
©2000-. Huntingdonshire Family History Society.