HFHS Logo

HUNTINGDONSHIRE
FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

Registered Charity Number 800335

Huntingdonshire Genealogy Links

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Eaton Socon (Bedfordshire)

 

Brief Description:

EATON-SOCON, a parish in the hundred of BARFORD, county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (S.W.) from St. Neot's, containing, with Wyboston, 2039 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the kings books at 20.13.9. The Duke of Bedford was patron in 1808. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here was anciently a castle, the residence of a branch of the family of Beauchamps; also a priory for Augustine friars, founded by Sir Oliver Beauchamp and his son Hugh, the only remaining portion of which is the refractory, now converted into stables. The river Ouse is navigable along the eastern boundary of the parish.

This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Hundred:
BARFORD
Registration District:

Eaton Socon was originally in the St. Neots Registration District, which itself became a sub-district of Huntingdon. From 1st April 1997, it has been in the Huntingdon Registration District.

First Appearance of Name:
probably Domesday Book - 1086.
Available Bookstall items:

1841 Census
1851 Census

1861 Census
1871 Census
1891 Census
1901 Census
Monumental Inscriptions

Links:

GENUKI Huntingdonshire - Eaton Socon
Roll of Honour - Huntingdonshire War Memorials


Click here to return to previous page

Last Updated on: 11 March 2003
©2000-. Huntingdonshire Family History Society.