HFHS Logo

HUNTINGDONSHIRE
FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

Registered Charity Number 800335

Huntingdonshire Genealogy Links

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Great Gransden

 

Brief Description:

GRANSDEN (GREAT), a parish in the hundred of TOSELAND, county of HUNTINGDON, 7¼ Miles (S.E. by E.) from St. Neot's, containing 545 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 5.7.3½., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A school-house was built by subscription in 1664, and endowed under the will of the Rev. B. Clay, then vicar; and in 1819 a house was erected for the master. Throughout this parish are scattered many diluvial remains, consisting of primitive and secondary rocked and fossils of almost every description, mineralised wood and vegetables, the vertebrae of the lchthyosaurus, &c.

This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Hundred:
TOSELAND
Registration District:
Great Gransden was originally in the Caxton Registration District of Cambridgeshire.

First Appearance of Name:
Gransden - Charter - 963-73.
Available Bookstall items:

1841 Census
1851 Census
1891 Census

Monumental Inscriptions

Links:

GENUKI Huntingdonshire - Great Gransden
GenWeb War Memorial
GenWeb Canadian Air Force Memorial


Click here to return to previous page

Last Updated on: 2 December 2001
©2000-. Huntingdonshire Family History Society.