HFHS Logo

HUNTINGDONSHIRE
FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

Registered Charity Number 800335

Huntingdonshire Genealogy Links

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Tilbrook

 

Brief Description:

TILBROOK, a parish in the hundred of STODDEN. county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (N.W. by W.) from Kimbolton, containing 297 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 13. 10., and in the patronage of Lord St. John. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Charles Higgins bequeathed 300 in support of a Sunday school, which sum, together with subscriptions, produces 20 a year.

This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"

Local government reorganisation in 1896 saw Swineshead transferred from Huntingdonshire to Bedfordshire in exchange for Tilbrook.

Hundred:
STODDEN
Registration District:
Tilbrook was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Kimbolton sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.

First Appearance of Name:
Domesday Book - 1086. The name came from Old English meaning 'dung-brook' a place for watering cattle.
Available Bookstall items:

1841 Census
1851 Census
1891 Census

Links:

GENUKI Huntingdonshire - Tilbrook
Roll of Honour - Huntingdonshire War Memorials


Click here to return to previous page

Last Updated on: 16 December 2001
©2000-. Huntingdonshire Family History Society.